My name is Geoff English and I’m a PhD student at QIMR Berghofer, Brisbane, Qld, Australia. I’m studying the genetics of Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD).
I completed a dual degree at the University of Queensland in Arts and Science. I majored in Philosophy and Evolutionary Genetics.
I did my Honours year in 2016 in statistical Genetics. I quickly discovered that scarcely one module, from one course, in my entire science degree was relevant to it… So I had to learn fast, but I fell in love with it (comfy chair, headphones and lots of coffee, what’s not to love?).
I don’t have a Facebook profile because Facebook is a life-sucking productivity devil.
Here’s my ORCID ID: orcid.org/0000-0003-3103-9322
I have a wife and two kids (boy and girl). They explain a statistically significant proportion of why I do all of this.
I listen to chiptune and cyberpunk music while working because I’m a huuge nerd.
I started this blog for a few reasons:
- To force myself to learn difficult concepts by attempting to write about them here
- There is a distinct lack of user friendly learning material for Quantitative Genetics
- To channel my procrastination skills into something useful
- Besides science, I also enjoy writing (I love writing)
- Everyone can learn hard things, it just takes a desire, and good learning material
- Shameless self promotion
When I’m not sciencing you’ll find me hanging out with my family, reluctantly engaging in social activities, working out (very occasionally) and watching movies.
My dream life is to own my own home somewhere that I can see a lot of bush and/or dry grass:
and have enough money left over to go Snowboarding in Japan every year: